There are many benefits to minimally invasive heart surgery, including shorter recovery time, a lower risk of infection, reduced trauma, reduced pain, almost invisible scars, and less blood loss. There are methods so advanced, that we can eliminate the need for blood transfusions. For people with concerns over blood transfusions, such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, this is potentially life-saving! Dr. Ciuffo is the Director of the Minimally Invasive and Bloodless Heart Surgery program at Mercy Medical Center, so you know that you will be in the absolute best hands with him.
Blood Saving Techniques
To minimize blood loss, Dr. Ciuffo employs special techniques. These techniques reduce the risk of excessive bleeding during surgery and post-operatively.
- Surgery is performed through a tiny 2″ incision in the side
- Use of the heart-lung machine to keep the entire blood volume in circulation
- Use of beating heart surgery when necessary
- Use of cell saver/blood salvage machine
- Removing some of the patient’s blood before surgery and stored until after surgery*
- Careful cell recycling of blood that is transferred to surgical gauze sponges
- Controlled surface bleeding with topical hemostatic agents
- Dilution of blood volume with a saline solution
- The patient kept with low blood pressure through surgery
- Intra-operative electro-cautery or argon beam blood vessel coagulation
*This method is not used for Jehovah’s Witnesses as blood needs to be stored
Schedule A Consultation With Dr. Ciuffo
If you or someone who love is in need of heart surgery and considering our low-impact, soft touch approach, get in touch with Dr. Ciuffo today. Our team of experts can help you understand the benefits (and the risks) associated with this surgery compared to other types of cardiac surgery. You could be back on track with your life, feeling better than ever after minimally invasive heart surgery.
Learn about one of our bloodless heart surgery patients who traveled from Australia to receive this specialty from Dr. Ciuffo. If you or a loved one is interested in further information about minimally invasive, bloodless heart surgery that will align with your religious beliefs and health concerns, please get in touch with Dr. Ciuffo today. Call our office at (330) 588-4676 or contact us online. Dr. Ciuffo looks forward to helping you move toward living a better, healthier life.