Advanced heart surgery can be a life-saving procedure for many individuals. For patients with religious restrictions and other health concerns when it comes to accepting blood transfusions, advanced surgery may not be an options. Fortunately, Dr. Giovanni Ciuffo has developed his minimally invasive techniques for bloodless cardiac surgery. Patients who do not wish or cannot to receive blood transfusions do have options!
Bloodless Cardiac Surgery
Bloodless surgery is possible by following strict techniques:
- Careful preparation of each patient – Dr. Ciuffo and his team investigates any medications and other factors that could cause bleeding, then minimizes those factors to reduce the risk.
- Precise and meticulous technique during surgery – Using cell and blood saving techniques, along with the minimally invasive methods reduce the risk of bleeding and allow for a bloodless surgery.
- Thorough postoperative follow-up – Patients are closely monitored and given different medications to ensure the return to normal hemoglobin levels quickly. Only very small blood samples are taken for testing.
Benefits of Bloodless Cardiac Surgery
There are many benefits to bloodless surgery, which is why many patients, regardless of their religious affiliation are choosing it. Bloodless surgery results in the avoidance of potential side effects and complications related to blood transfusions.
- Follow religious beliefs (typically Jehovah’s Witnesses)
- Reduce risk of HIV/AIDs, hepatitis, and other blood-borne viruses
- Avoid allergic reactions
- Avoid inflammatory reactions
- Keep immune system strong
Recent health studies have confirmed that patients who did not receive a blood transfusion at the time of surgery have better postoperative longevity. Our efforts to pursue bloodless techniques help our patients lengthen and improve their life.
Get A Second Opinion
If you’ve been told that your advanced cardiac surgery is not possible due to your religious beliefs, please consider a second opinion with Dr. Ciuffo. To learn more about the motivation and benefits behind bloodless heart surgery, visit our complete bloodless heart surgery information page, or contact us with any questions and comments.