Bloodless heart surgery is a type of procedure that is different from traditional heart surgery. Originally developed to comply with the religious beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses, bloodless heart surgery is now common and has many benefits and advantages over traditional heart surgery.
Bloodless Heart Surgery
Over the years, Dr. Ciuffo has developed very effective clinical strategies and routines that have made bloodless heart surgery a reality for most of our patients. Bloodless heart surgery care is an increasingly popular choice for all patients that need surgery in a growing number of medical institutions. This is because it is a lower risk for sick or elderly patients. The benefits surrounding bloodless heart surgery relate to the following steps:
- Carefully preparing the patient and other pre-surgery precautions
- Utilizing a precise and meticulous technique during surgery
- Completing a thorough follow-up after surgery
- Avoiding potential side effects and complications related to blood transfusions
How it Works
Here are some of the ways that this type of heart surgery avoids the need for blood transfusions:
- Extra Corporeal Circulation (the heart-lung machine) with or without blood storage. The entire blood volume can be kept in circulation at all times, in compliance with the principles and beliefs of the Jehovah’s witness community.
- Beating Heart Surgery technique for coronary artery bypass. It avoids using the heart-lung machine and helps us maintain a better ability to coagulate and stop bleeding after surgery.
- Blood Salvage. A “cell saver” machine collects, filters, and returns the patient’s blood to his/her own circulation. A closed circulation loop with no storage can be maintained at all times.
- Intraoperative hemodilution: some of the patient’s own blood can be removed prior to surgery and replaced with fluid. After surgery, the patient’s blood is re-circulated into the patient’s body with the advantage of fresh, intact coagulation properties.
Dr. Ciuffo and the Minimally Invasive and Bloodless Heart Surgery Program
Dr. Ciuffo is dedicated to ensuring your bloodless heart surgery is successful and that you have a low recovery time. If you have any questions about your heart surgery or how you should prepare for it, feel free to contact us at (330) 588-4676 or visit our contact page online.